The Masitise (Ellenberger) Cave House Museum in the vicinity of Quthing is part of an old mission house that was built into a San rock cave by the Reverend David Frederic Ellenberger in 1866.
Today it functions as a small museum with some fine displays of local history and culture. Ellenberger was well-respected by the people as he took their customs and traditions seriously. Together with Casalis, Arbousset, Sekese, Jacottet, and Mangoela, he preserved much historical and cultural material which certainly would have been lost during those tumultuous times. There is a school and a church nearby founded by the Ellenbergers when they settled in the area. On the roof of the cave you will find dinosaur footprints which are negative images of the footprints.
There are good sets of dinosaur footprints on the riverbank on the northern outskirts of Moyeni. There are also some dinosaur footprints further up the Qomoqomong Valley, though they are hard to find without a guide. The Qomoqomong Valley is also home to several San cave paintings: follow the small road east out of Moyeni towards the village of Qomoqomong (where the road ends) — the caves are in the hills to the southwest.
Cave House Museum
+266 270 03259
GPS S 30º 24' 17.7 E 027º 38' 35.7
Capital City of Lesotho Get info
National Heritage Site Get info